How To Become a Certified Yoga Instructor? 3 Required Yoga Certifications
An ultimate guide on how to get certified to teach yoga and turn your fitness passion into a successful career
If you’re reading this article, we can safely assume you already have at least some training in yoga and now you’re aspiring to get a certificate to be qualified to teach yoga. Most yoga studios and individual clients prefer instructors with legit training certificates. So, getting a yoga certificate is crucial, although there is no legal requirement for obtaining a certificate or license to become a yoga instructor. In this article, we will cover the 3 popular yoga certification providers to help you get a clear idea of how to become a certified yoga instructor.
Note: You don’t need a license to become a yoga instructor. But to open any type of health and fitness studio, including a yoga studio, you need some mandatory licenses required by your state.
How To Become a Certified Yoga Instructor?
Here are 3 popular certificate authorities from which you can acquire valuable yoga certification to become a certified yoga instructor.
1. Yoga Certifications from Yoga Alliance (YA) Group
Yogaalliance.org is one of the top yoga certification providers around the world. It has certifications for yoga schools, known as Registered Yoga School (RYS), and for teachers, known as Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT).
Take training and teaching experience from a registered RYS institute.
Here are 6 types of yoga teacher certifications to be a certified yoga instructor.
1) RTY 200: 200-hour yoga teacher training completed from any institute registered with Yoga Alliance. No training experience is required.
2) RTY 500: It requires 500-hour yoga teacher training and a minimum of 100 hours of teaching experience.
3) E-RTY 200: At least 1,000 hours of yoga teaching and two years of training experience after completing RTY 200. Here “E” means Experienced.
4) E-RYT 500: Minimum 2,000 hours of teaching experience with a yoga school registered with an alliance group. + RTY 500.
5) Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT): RTY 200+ 95-hour children’s yoga teacher training from a Registered Children’s Yoga School (RCYS) + 30 hours of children’s yoga teaching experience after completing training with RCYS
6) Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher (RPYT): RTY 200 +an 85-hour prenatal yoga training + 30 hours of prenatal yoga teaching experience after completing training with RCYS.
Registration with Alliance Group
After completing any of the above training, you need to register with and become a member of Yogaalliance.org. Cost: $115
Fulfill membership continuation requirements
Pay annual membership fees of $65 each year. Also, fulfill Continuing Education Requirements to continue the membership.
2. The Association of Yoga Professionals (AYP)
AYP is a 501(c)(6) non-profit organization providing yoga certificates to hath yoga trainers at a global level. To get a Certified Yoga Teacher (CYT) certificate, you need to follow the below requirements.
1) Training: Complete a yoga teacher training. It is recommended that you take this training from an AYP member (individual or studio), but that’s not mandatory.
2) Experience: Have at least two years of yoga teaching experience, with taking a minimum of one class per week.
3) Application: Submit the AYP application. Here, you need to provide proof of your training and experience, including a certificate of your training completion, and the name and contact details of your instructors.
4) Fees: Pay a $40 annual membership fee and a one-time $35 administrative fee.
5) Test: Appear on and pass The CYT Level 1 Certification Exam.
6) Additional requirements: Take and pass the “Karma of Ethics” course. Cost: $45.
7) Maintain CYT status: Must complete 20 hours of Continuing Education program and pay $40 of the annual membership fee.
3. World Yoga Federation
World Yoga Federation certificates are also considered legit if you want to become a certified yoga instructor. It is established by Swami Vidyanand. The certificate comes from India and is valid around the globe. World Yoga Federation has a registered trademark in the USA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and many other countries.
Here are the certificate details, eligibility, and the authorization that comes with each certification.
|Certificate name||Requirements||Eligible to conduct workshops and classes||Eligible to train and certify 100-hour level trainers.||Eligible to train and certify 200-hour level trainers.||Eligible to train and certify 500-hour level trainers.|
|100 Hour Certified Teacher||100 hours of training||No||No||No||No|
|200 Hour Certified Teacher||200 hours of training||Yes||No||No||No|
|500 Hour Certified Teacher||500 hours of training||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Experienced 500 Hour Certified Teacher||500 hours of training + significant experience in teaching yoga||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Grand Master||Leaders of yoga organizations or someone having a significant contribution to the yoga community||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
The cost is not mentioned and you need to contact them personally to know more about certification and membership costs. There is a one-time cost that makes you eligible for a lifetime membership and there aren’t any yearly renewal charges.
Final Words on How to Become a Certified Yoga Instructor
When hiring a yoga teacher, most yoga studios expect some certificates from the applicants. If you want to be an independent yoga instructor, you still need a valid yoga certification for marketing purposes. Hence, yoga certification becomes a deal-maker or deal-breaker point if you want to become a yoga instructor. The top 3 yoga certification providers are Yoga Alliance (YA), The Association of Yoga Professionals (AYP), and the World Yoga Federation. They have various levels of certification based on your training and experience.